What is VoIP?
Simply put, VoIP or Voice Over Internet Protocol is the transmissionof voice traffic over IP-based networks. It is also sometimes referredto as IP Telephony. VoIP has become immensely popular because of thesavings an individual can make on long distance calls, especially oninternational calls. It is cheap, and some are even offering it forfree. Savings can range from 60 to 90 percent, depending on your usage.
How can I use VoIP?
There are three ways of using VoIP. The first one is PC to PC,wherein both parties must have their computers turned on tocommunicate. Second is PC to Phone, where a party must contact a phonethrough his computer. Last is Phone to Phone.
What do I need to make VoIP calls?
There are three basic things you need to make a free VoIP call: acomputer, a decent internet connection, and a headset with a microphoneand earpiece. Scour the web once you have those and you can talk toalmost anyone around the globe. The down side of this is you can notmake a call unless your computer is turned on.
On the other hand, VoIP companies' services will cut down your longdistance costs to a fraction plus you can make calls with your computerturned off. Aside from the basic requirements mentioned above, deviceswill be provided by the company, usually with a fixed price. Thefollowing are the most common devices that you will be issued if yousign up for a VoIP service:
- Analog Telephone Adapter or ATA. This device is commonly referredto as a phone adapter, and is needed to make Phone to PC and Phone toPhone calls.
- Tellular Device. This is just like a normal phone, but some are packed with useful features that you will not usually see.
- Router. A router will allow you to share your Internet connection with multiple computers or Internet devices.
What are the features of VoIP?
VoIP has almost all regular phone features. This includes caller ID,voicemail, 3-way calling, fax, call waiting, and many more. Aside fromthese, there are a number of advanced features that makes communicationeasier.
An example would be the "Keep Your Number" feature, which allows youto use the same number even if you move. Another feature would be"Unlimited Calls to US or Canada." This feature is popular amongindividuals outside of the US because of the savings they can get.
What are the disadvantages of VoIP?
Yes VoIP is cheap and rich with features, but it is not perfect.Voice quality is one of the main concerns of VoIP users. Delays,echoes, and weird noises are frequently attributed with VoIP. A goodVoIP company, a sufficient broadband connection, and quality hardwarewill eliminate this problem.
Another down side with VoIP is that it is dependent on your Internetconnection. If you have slow or poor connection, voice quality willsurely be affected.
Unlike normal phones, VoIP relies on power. You need to plug in your ATA, modem, and other VoIP devices for you to make calls.
Related Online Articles:
- Cons And Pros Of Epic Browser The Diverse Indian Browser Through The Window Of WWW
- The Steps for clicking E-Commerce
- SEO is the marketing engineering
- Stocking up your sacred establishment has now become easier, with leading providers for church suppl
- E - Bomb
- Search Engine Optimization SEO Services Company
- Looking for a best traffic exchange service We are here to serve you the best
- It is essential to compare the various Freight Quotes given by different transportation companies
- Wireless Internet Connection
Sajith Kumar on 2008-10-08 18:54:16 wrote,
hi, i was searching for this for so long. please provide me with more details