- Defrag your computer at least once every two weeks . Go to start>accessories>system tools>disk defragmenter. You can click on "analyze" first before you choose defrag, it will tell you if you need to defrag. Just defrag it even if it reports you don't need to.
- Do Disk Clean Up at least once every two weeks. Go to start>accessories>system tools>disk clean up. It will analyze your disk and will generate reports. It is suggestable you delete files from the recycle bin and the files located in the temporary files folder.
- Clean up your program files, delete and uninstall unwanted programs on your computer. Go to control panel>add remove programs. Make sure you restart your computer after uninstalling or removing the program so that complete deletion will take place.
- Delete all files (temporary files and cookies from the computer). Here's how: open a browser. On top of the browser click on tools>internet options>delete files and then delete cookies. Make your history set to (0). Others wants it on at least 10. I always set mine to (0).
- You have to be very careful in installing or downloading programs. Make sure you need it, if not please just avoid it. Uninstalling them is really hard. Many vendors has all the power to have their program stay in your computer!
- Always turn on your firewall. It is suggestable that you have only one firewall and one anti virus. You get less safer if you have two anti virus running.
- Run anti-spyware programs.do immunize them before doing the entire program to run. Run adware every week too after.
- Run complete scan using your antivirus software at least everyday (some do it once a week).
- Avoid multi-tasking too much! Meaning to say, avoid opening too many programs all at the same time running at the task bar.
- It is also suggestable to get a dual hard drive (which is now common in the market), one for the operating system only and the other for all the programs, database and files. This way, the computer boots on one hard drive.
- Also check the performance of your computer when connected on the internet. Go to control panel >network and internet connections >network connections >right click the mouse on the connection available (e.g. local area connection "connected", "firewalled")>click on "STATUS". Make sure on the status tab, you will see the speed . The packets sent and the packets received must not have a very high difference. If it is sending too much packets (as in ten times) than it receive (then try to do number 7!).
- Always make sure you install the latest updates on your computer.
- Always make sure all devices (drivers, etc) are properly functioning. Go to control panel >performance and maintenance >system >hardware >click on DEVICE MANAGER. You will see all the devices and adapters available on your computer. Make sure you don't see a yellow question mark (?) or this means there is an error on that device or adapter. If so, you need to update it or install the right drivers. Updated firmware might also be needed.
- Browsing the internet? The pop up blocker is really great!
- A memory of at least 512 RAM might be a good idea installed on your computer.
There you go, 15 steps! Good luck!
Related Online Articles:
No comment yet. Be the first to post a comment.