A Sore Throat is a painful feeling in the throat aggravated by swallowing. Bacteria or virus causes sore throat, medically known as Pharyngitis. Most often it will be a symptom of an underlying illness like cold, flu, mumps, tonsillitis etc. Sore throat is named, depending on the area where the pain is, like:
Symptoms of Sore Throat
Following are the major sore throat symptoms:
- Irritation of throat
- Chills and fever
- Pain in the throat
- Swollen and tender lymph glands
- Difficulty in swallowing
Causes of Sore Throat
A sore throat can have many causes including:
- Common viruses, and even the viruses that cause mononucleosis (mono) and the flu, can cause a sore throat. Some viruses can also produce blisters in the mouth and throat ("aphthous stomatitis").
- Breathing through the mouth can produce throat dryness and soreness.
- Sinus drainage (post nasal drip) may cause a sore throat.
- A sore throat can also be caused by bacteria. The two most common bacteria to cause a sore throat are Streptococcus (which causes strep throat) and Arcanobacterium haemolyticum. Arcanobacterium causes sore throats mainly in young adults and is sometimes associated with a fine red rash.
- Sore throat appearing after treatment with antibiotics, chemotherapy, or other immune-compromising medications may be due to Candida, commonly known as "thrush."
- A sore throat lasting for more than two weeks can be a sign of a serious illness, such as throat cancer or AIDS.
Natural Home Remedies for Sore Throat
Following are some of the effective home remedies for sore throat:
- Add lemon juice and some honey, to a glass of hot water. Drink this. It will give immediate relief from pain.
- Cut a lemon into 2 pieces. Take one piece and put some salt and black pepper on it, press with a knife so that salt-pepper penetrates into the lime. Put the lemon on heat to make it warm. Slowly lick this lemon squeezing it until no juice remains. Do it 2-3 times a day.
- Add 1/4 teaspoon of cayenne pepper to 1 cup of boiling water; stir well and sip slowly. It is also good for sore throat cure.
- Prepare a tea by adding 1 or 2 teaspoons of dried chamomile blossoms to a pint of boiling water; steep and drink a cup every few hours.
- Eat betel leaves with liquorice (mulathi) 2-3 times a day.
- Make a paste of 2-3 cloves with 1-2 cloves of garlic. Mix with 1 cup of honey. Have 1 tsp 3 times a day.
- Soak 8-10 almonds. Peel and grind with 8-10 pepper corns. Mix in 1 cup of water. Sieve and drink adding either salt or sugar to taste.
- Gargle with fenugreek tea, made with 2 tbsp of fenugreek seeds boiled in 6 cups of water. 3-4 times a day.
- Warm a cup of milk. Add a pinch of turmeric powder and drink before going to bed.
- Boil one whole onion, mash and eat with a little butter, salt and pepper.
Sore Throat Treatment and Advice
- Gargle with warm salt water. It is an effective natural remedy for sore throat.
- You can also gargle with Aloe Vera juice two times daily. It is also an effective home remedy for sore throat.
Herbal Remedies for Sore Throat
- Chew some garlic pieces. It is an effective sore throat treatment.
- Prepare marshmallow root tea by adding 1 tablespoon of the dried root to a cup. Add a cup (8 ounces) of boiling water, steep it covered for at least 10 minutes then strain. Drink up to 3 cups a day.
- Prepare honeysuckle tea. Bring 1 quart of water to a boil. . Add 1 cup of honeysuckle flowers (not the leaves). Steep for at least 10 minutes, covered, and then strain. Sweeten with honey if desired. Drink up to 4 cups a day.
- Water boiled with basil leaves should be taken as a drink, and also used as a gargle to relieve a sore throat. It is also effective in sore throat treatment.
Related Online Articles:
- Home Remedies for Diabetes and get rid of Diabetes
- Worms in Humans and Intestinal worms Causes, symptoms and Natural Home Remedies
- The Immune system and Boost Immune System and How Immune System Works
- How to increase Height Naturally and ways to increase Height
- Arthritis Causes and Symptoms and Home Remedies for Arthritis rheumatoid
- Diabetes Mellitus and Control on Type 1 and Type 2 Diabetes naturally
- Stress Management Tips and Get Relief from Stress and Strain
- Ways to reduce High blood pressure and Low Blood Pressure
- Weight Loss Diet Plan and Easy Weight Loss Tips
- Stomach Ache Causes Symptoms and Home Remedy for Stomach Ache or Stomach Pain
No comment yet. Be the first to post a comment.