Cataracts are a clouding of the eye lens that causes blur vision, inability to focus and is progressive and painless. The cataract becomes thicker with time until it blinds the eye; this is the number one cause of blindness in the world.
The most common type of cataract is senile cataract which means that affects people 65 and older. This type of cataract is cause by free radicals that damage the lens.
The first sign of cataract is blurred vision. The patient finds it difficult to see things in focus. As the disease progresses, the patient may get double vision or spots, or both. At first, vision in twilight may be better than in full daylight since light is admitted round the more widely-dilated pupil in the dark. In the advanced stage, objects and persons may appear as mere blobs of light, and there is a greyish-white discoloration in the pupil.
Causes of Cataract
Deterioration in the nutrition of the lens
There are three factors which contribute to the loss of transparency of the lens. These are deterioration in the nutrition of the lens which diminishes the vitality and resistance of the delicate lens fibres; deposits of acids and salts between the lens fibres which have an irritating effect on the lens tissues and exert an increasing pressure on its delicate fibres, gradually destroying them; and disintegration of lens fibres which cloud the entire lens in the absence of appropriate measures.
Stress and strain, alcoholic drinks, certain physical ailments
Other causes of cataract are stress and strain; excessive intake of alcoholic drinks, sugar, and salt; smoking; certain physical ailments such as gastro-intestinal or gall-bladder disturbances; diabetes; vitamin deficiencies; fatty acid intolerance; ageing; radiation; side-effects of drugs that have been prescribed for other diseases.
Home Remedies for Cataract
- The most popular and efficient remedy for cataract would be to have carrots. Eat raw carrots regularly and also consume fresh carrot juice, twice a day.
- Another beneficial home remedy for cataract comprises of the extract or juice of pumpkin flowers. Apply this juice on the eyelids, two times a day, and keep on for fifteen minutes duration.
- Putting a few drops of honey into the eyes would act favorably in curing cataract.
- Aniseed is also helpful in treating cataract. Consume 6 grams of aniseed daily, in the morning as well as evening. For better results, mix equal amount of aniseed and coriander powder. Add a little brown sugar to the mixture. Eat 12 grams of this mixture, twice per day.
- An effective home remedy for cataract would comprise of almonds and pepper. Grind 7 almond kernels, along with ½ gram of pepper, in water and consume. Sugar candy can also be added to the mixture.
- A combination of cardamom and milk is said to be healthy for eyes. Grind 2 pieces of cardamom and put them in a glass of milk. Boil and bring it down to lukewarm temperature. Consume this milk, every night.
- Soak 3 to 4 almonds in 2 to 3 tbsp of milk and keep it overnight. In the morning, add sandalwood to this mixture. Apply this on the eyelids. It would reduce the redness associated with cataract.
- Include 2-3 cloves of garlic to your everyday diet, as garlic is known to cleanse the crystalline lens of the eye.
- Include oranges and grapes in your diet, as they help in healing the eye and curing cataract.
- Eat raw salads. Dressing them with olive oil and lemon juice would add to their benefit.
- Consumption of spinach, cauliflower, turnips, fenugreek, drum sticks, few nuts, soaked raisins, figs and dates is considered to be good for cataract.
Related Online Articles:
- Nutrition and Diet Basics for Good Health
- Home Remedies for Knee pain and Joint Pain Treatment
- How to Increase Height Naturally and How to get Taller
- Best Vitamins and Food Supplements for Cell growth division
- Ear infection Causes Symptoms and Natural Home Remedies for Ear infection
- Leucoderma Causes, Symptoms and Natural Cure with Natural Home remedies
- Natural Beauty Products for You
- Dry Skin Care Tips to get Glowing Skin
- Acne Scars Causes Symptoms Types Diet and Home Remedies for Acne Scars
- Gout Causes Symptoms and Natural Treatment of Gout
No comment yet. Be the first to post a comment.