Fleet Management Maximizes Productivity
The primary objective of fleet management is to control the overall cost of running and maintaining a fleet of vehicles and undertake preventive maintenance of the vehicles to extend their productive life cycle. Optimizing growth of fleet size, standardizing the composition of the fleet and accurately assessing maintenance and replacement costs are also vital objectives.
Apart from vehicle tracking, the key areas where fleet management service operates are described here.
A strategic feature of fleet management services is the strong relationship they have with the manufacturers that ensure customers, while acquiring vehicles get the most competitive prices all the time. The services also assist in disposal of vehicles, which is an important component of cost control. Fleet owners, after all, would like to receive the maximum return on their assets.
Maintenance or rather preventive maintenance is the artery that keeps fleets alive and kicking. Fleet management services offer many types of maintenance solutions, the most important being underwritten maintenance, budgeted maintenance, do and charge maintenance. Preventive maintenance service is provided by automatic service alerts, engine diagnostics and improved vehicle performance. This translates into increased return on investment, reduced cost of ownership and increase in resale value.
Control of fuel consumption is the key to economic management of a fleet. This is not surprising since fuel constitutes nearly 30 percent of running costs. Fleet management services can help in the following ways
* By identifying and correcting fuel-wasting behavior of drivers.
* Making use of engine diagnostics to identify the most optimum vehicle speed for maximum fuel efficiency
* Eliminating unauthorized after hours usage of vehicles
Fleet Management Software
Most fleet management software, use cellular and GPS technology to automatically collect engine diagnostic data, asset location data and other relevant information in real time through a hardware device fitted to a vehicle. The fleet owner thus accrues many advantages such as:
* Using powerful tools like real time asset tracking and route mapping that reduce costs and take control of fleet movement. Most vehicles have vehicle-tracking systems that use GPS technology. Real time GPS tracking devices update every few minutes so that fleet managers can monitor the vehicle's location at all times.
* Environmental control by reducing idle time of engines, CO2 emissions, and route optimization
* Helping out fleet managers in scheduling, billing, accounting, and customer relations management
Fleet tracking system installed in every truck enables the fleet manager to:
* View vehicle locations in real time
* Control access to vehicles
* Gather hour meter readings by truck
* Generate comprehensive truck utilization reports that will help in analyzing historic movement and reporting idle periods
* Plan periodic maintenance schedules during active hours so that efficiency is not compromised
Fleet management is not a onetime solution but rather an ongoing partnership with fleet managers and owners. Vehicle fleets may operate under different regulations, with different regions of operations. But they all share a common objective to reduce costs of operations, quality of service, and increase staff productivity for customer satisfaction. With this objective, fleet managers use every tool at their disposal to maximize the usage of their fleet resources. Fleet management is now a fined tuned tool that comprehensively monitors and controls vehicle resources to maximize profits in business operations.
Related Online Articles:
No comment yet. Be the first to post a comment.