A hernia is an opening or weakness in the muscular structure of the wall of the abdomen. This defect causes a bulging of the abdominal wall. This bulging is usually more noticeable when the abdominal muscles are tightened, thereby increasing the pressure in the abdomen. Any activities that increase intra-abdominal pressure can worsen a hernia; examples of such activities are lifting, coughing, or even straining to have a bowel movement. Imagine a barrel with a hole in its side and a balloon that is blown up inside the barrel. Part of the inflated balloon would bulge out through the hole. The balloon going through the hole is like the tissues of the abdomen bulging through a hernia.
Hiatus Hernia Causes
There are a lot of causes of a Hiatus hernia, but the most common causes would most likely be:
3. Use of illegal drugs
5. Uncontrollable coughing
Symptoms of Hiatus Hernia
Those are some common cause of a Hiatus Hernia. However to determine that you have a hernia some symptoms that you may develop will consist of
1. Acid reflux
2. Chest and stomach pains
3. Regurgitation where one swallows food, but it works its way back up through the esophagus
4. Sometimes there can be no symptoms at all
Treatment of Hiatus Hernia:
In the beginning of the treatment, it will be advisable to raise the head end of the bed by placing bricks below the legs of the bed. This will prevent the regurgitation of food during the night.
In case of the infant, all efforts should be made to keep the child upright day and night.
The next important step towards treating hiatus hernia is relaxation. An important measure in this direction is diaphragmatic breathing. The procedure is as follows:-
Lie down with both knees bent and feet close to buttocks, Feel relaxed, put both the hands lightly on the abdomen and concentrate the attention on this area. Now breath in, gently pushing the abdomen up under the hands at the same time, until no more air can be inhaled. Then relax, breathing out through the mouth with an audible sighing sound and allow the abdominal wall to sink back. The shoulders and chest should remain at rest throughout.
Home Remedies for Hernia
1. Eat several smaller meals throughout the day rather than a few large meals.
2. Avoid foods that trigger heartburn, such as chocolate, onions, spicy foods, citrus fruits and tomato-based foods.
3. Avoid alcohol.
4. Limit the amount of fatty foods you eat.
5. Sit up after you eat, rather than taking a nap or lying down.
6. Eat at least three hours before bedtime.
7. Lose weight if you're overweight or obese.
8. Stop smoking.
9. Elevate the head of your bed 6 inches (about 15 centimeters).
10. Work to reduce the stress in your daily life.
Diet for Hiatus Hernia
The diet of the patient should consist of seeds, nuts. And whole cereal grains, vegetables and fruits, with wheat tortilla on fresh fruits, raw or lightly cooked vegetables and sprouted seeds like alfalfa and green gram beans. At least 50 percent of the diet should consist of fruits and vegetables. The foods which should be avoided for Hiatus/Hiatal hernia are - over-processed foods, white bread, sugar, cakes, biscuits, rice puddings, over-cooked vegetables, condiments, 'pickles, strong tea and coffee.
Raw juices extracted from fresh fruits and vegetables,"': valuable in hiatus hernia. The patient should take three juices diluted with water, half an hour before each meal" Carrot juice is especially beneficial as it has a very restorative effect. It is an alkaline food, which soothese the stomach.
The hot drinks should always be allowed to cool a little before taking. Extremes in temperature, both in food and drink should be avoided. Drinks should not be taking hurriedly but sipped slowly.
Related Online Articles:
- Cholesterol Causes Symptoms and Home Remedies for High and Low Blood Cholesterol
- Vitamins Essential for Healthy Skin and Skin Care Tips
- Heart Disease Causes Symptoms Treatment and Home Remedies for Coronary Heart Disease
- Benefits of Yoga Pranayam for Healthy Life
- Immune System Disease Treatment and ways to enhance the Immune System
- Dandruff Causes Symptoms and Home Remedies and Hair Loss Solutions
- Best Vitamins and Food Supplements for Cell growth division
- Knee pain Causes, Symptoms, Home Remedies and Natural Cure
- Asthma Causes symptoms and Natural Treatments and Natural Home Remedies of Asthma
- How to increase energy and 10 Ways to Boost Energy
No comment yet. Be the first to post a comment.